Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review: NYC Individual Eyes Custom Compact in Dark Shadows

If you guys have followed my YouTube videos (http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee) then you would know I have quite the obsession with Wet N Wild shadows.  I think I own almost every palette, trio, and single that I can get my hands on that they release.  So, when a drugstore company comes out with eyeshadows, they have a pretty high standard to meet and pretty big competition.  NYC is a brand in which I own very few products of, so I was VERY excited to receive this in my Influenster Beauty Blogger box.  The first thing I noticed was that it did not hold up well though it's little road trip :(  When I received it, the lightest grey had broke a bit and ended up getting all over the primer and the illuminator on the bottom.  After some cleanup, I was able to make it look kinda pretty again and started testing.  Here are my swatches:

With Primer (Included within the palette)





Without Primer




Picture of the palette (notice the big chunk in the lightest grey)  :(




As you can see, the color payoff is OKAY at best.  The colors are not highly pigmented and the palette is $4.99.  If you are a Wet N Wild lover like I am, you know you can get a 6-pan palette that has two more eyeshadows AND crazy pigmentation for the same price.  Yes, I know you don't get the primer and illuminator, but to me, those aren't that stellar either.  The shadows have a soft feel to them, but they are extremely powdery, so beware when applying - there WILL be fallout.  My opinion?  Sorry, NYC, but I would say that if you are new to drugstore makeup and eyeshadows, pick up a Wet N Wild palette and skip out on this one. 

As far as creasing and staying power, these shadows are great. I didn't find any problems or have any issues with these lasting on my eyelids and fading thoughout the day. 

What do you guys think?  Have any of you guys tried out this palette and fall in love with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment